September 2018 – The next Phase

A group of approximately 20 residents from Barford, Wasperton and Sherbourne were invited to a meeting in early September (2018) to discuss the current situation and to decide how it was felt the committee should proceed. The view was overwhelmingly that we as a committee and a community should continue to oppose this proposal. It was agreed to get the information and guidance from Minerals Planning Experts to be able to respond to this next consultation in the most accurate and strenuous manner. On the basis that this plan reaches the Inspector, (which it undoubtedly will) the community have this final opportunity to influence what happens. Anything which we want the Inspector to consider must be raised prior to the inspection itself and so this is our last shot at raising and highlighting issues either with the plan itself or the proposal to include Site 4 and ensuring that Site 5 doesn’t get dragged back in.

Significant support of funding was promised at this meeting

What you should know:

The inclusion of a site in the local minerals plan carries a presumption to grant.

It is highly unlikely that as a community we will be able to do anything much at the planning application stage except get a few points of mitigation.

We have to fight at this consultation stage to get site 4 removed from the plan.

At the moment we do not have the full documentation that will be released in conjunction with the new plan. When it is released at the start of the consultation we and our appointed professionals will have 6 weeks to analyse and review, to update the committee who in turn will aid the community to respond. This documentation will need to be reviewed in full again to be able to give us the ammunition needed to respond.

WE need to increase the number of responses to this consultation in order to show that as a strong cohesive community, we will oppose this plan

that threatens our Health, Environment and Safety for years to come and damage our landscape on which to grow crops.

It is crucial therefore that we are in a strong financial position to get professionals in their field to respond quickly.

The next consultation was planned for 6 weeks commencing September / October 2018 but has already been delayed by at least 4 weeks.

The advice of professionals does not come cheap and so the community are in a position of having to raise further funds to ensure that when WCC do release full documentation we will be able to move quickly to employ these very necessary professionals to:

  • assimilate the information,

  • advise us on what and how to respond in the consultation

  • advise on our future strategy moving forward.

It is impossible to state precisely how much money we will need to do this as we do not know what documents WCC will be issuing that will need to be reviewed and hence we are having to err on the side of caution. The County Council do not provide communities with information before they have to but we have to be prepared, do the analysis, gain the advice and roll it out to the community at speed to get the best responses (in terms of content and number) within the very strict time scale of 6 weeks.

The worst that can happen at this stage of our campaign is that documents are released, the consultation starts and we don’t have enough money to safely commit to getting the advice and support we need.

FINANCIAL FACTS moving forward

To this end the community are being asked to contribute to ensure we can move fast.

A Crowd funding Campaign has commenced pledges are being called in, the village shop is receiving cheques made payable to Barford Residents Association and direct transfers are being paid in to the bank. 

The monies are growing and a huge thanks to all who have contributed to date but we still have a significant way to go to reach the monies required to get through this consultation and beyond towards the inspection.

Minerals and Waste  Scheme – WCC proposed timescale

Publication Plan Consultation Wednesday 31st October until Wednesday 12th December

Submission of Plan                                    Spring 2019
Examination in Public                               Summer 2019
Inspectors Report                        Autumn/Winter 2019
Plan Adopted Spring 2020

 If you wish to donate to the Sand and Gravel Action Group then please make cheques (or bank transfers) payable to:-

Barford Residents Association      Sort code 77-74-59  Account No.  01404960


If you have any information or enquiries please email :